Musings on Turkey Sandwiches, Equality and Sneakers...

May its memory be for a blessing...
From death comes life...
Please take a few moments to reflect on the short life of my sneaker...


In other news, Papa Bush is in town and I live in the security triangle. Surprisingly, I don't feel any safer than I did yesterday. In Bush's honor, they closed my school because it is located next to his hotel and cars are not allowed to drive on that street. As a result, our last final was a take-home test. I made it a "take-Cafe" test and have been sitting in a chic cafe on Ben Yehuda street from where I write at the moment. At one point, I needed to take a trip to the bathroom and asked a woman next to me to watch my stuff. However, I realized that the wireless internet might reach to the bathroom, so I took my mac with me. It was a delightful time.

Other musings:

I believe in equality and that woman should be able to do the same things as men if they want. When I was little, I wanted to walk around with my shirt off and pee standing up like my big brother, but I got over each of these desires to be equal to him. I don't consider myself to be a raging feminist except for when the following interaction occurs.

Yesterday in a cab -

Jen: How are you?
Cabby: Baruch Hashem, Thank God! (Note: Cabby shows no other indication of being religious.)
Jen: 13 King David Street, Please.
Cabby: Are you Reform or Conservative?
Jen: Reform. How did you know? Do I look Reform?
Cabby: Its the Reform school where we are going, right?
Jen: Yes.
Cabby: Why do you have to call yourself Reform? Why can't you just call yourself Jewish?
Jen: Well, in Israel, I'm not considered to be a religious Jew and I'm definitely not secular either. Besides, the distinctions are different in the US.
Cabby: So what. I pray to God and want the world to be a good place. And I'm just Jewish.
Jen: Sounds like you are a Reform Jew.
Cabby: NO!
Jen: Yup, you have all the qualities of a good old Reform Jew!
Cabby: NO!
Jen: YES!
Cabby: Why do you have to go that school? Who cares if Orthodox makes you pray behind a wall? Women already have so many responsibilities - why can't you just be happy with that.
Jen: Because I want to be a Rabbi.
Cabby: Why can't you just be the wife of a Rabbi?

Oh no he didn't...
Oh yes he did...

In other news, I'm heading to Istanbul on Sunday...I expect it will be a great time...except my Tourist Visa is expired, so if they don't let me in, its possible that the only Turkey I will be seeing next week is on a deli sandwich...

Congrats to Leslie G for joining the same sorority I was in during college - Sigma Delta Tau. Now that we are finally sisters, we've decided to finally let her know that she's really adopted.

Comments

  1. 1) RIP shoe
    2) LOVE the "oh no he di'int" moment
    3) didn't you already go to turkey? did i make that up? have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bush's visit to Israel almost completely messed up my Birthright bus's itinerary during the days he was here. All that ended up happening was that we were kicked out of Yad Vashem earlier than we would have had to leave...which is actually fine with me, but i got to seem them cleaning and scrubbing and vacuuming. I also saw a demonstration at Kikar Tzion that night. Interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

earth, wind, FIRE, water

Bonjour, Czech Please. Todah.

Not your average homework assignment...