Shabbat Shuva: No Return Limit (from 5773)


Shabbat Shuva: No Return Limit
September 21, 2012 ~ 6 Tishrei 5773
Rabbi Jen Gubitz

The entire subway ride, I geared up.  I practiced what I might say: my demeanor, my smile, my defense, if necessary.

Would they listen? Would they agree? Would they allow for my return?

And then, I entered the Apple Store in Chelsea, graciously greeted the first clerk I saw, and went for it:

“Hi,” I began. “16 days ago, I purchased a new laptop.  The reason I purchased a new laptop is because mine was stolen from the synagogue where I work. And I’m a rabbi.  Well not really, but I’m going to be one, and it was two days before Rosh Hashanah when it was stolen.  I knew you might come out with a new model, but I needed one right then.  So I bought it - but then we had Sukkot (which is this crazy Jewish holiday where we dwell in booths even though people in New York barely can afford to dwell in apartments) and as you can see, I’m a few days past the return date.  So I know I should’ve brought it earlier in the week to exchange for the new model, but you released the new model on Sukkot.  And like I was saying, I’m a Rabbi - well not yet, but in four years I will be and its not really fair to any of us Jews to have a new apple release date on chag anyways.”

“Hey, we’re happy to take that return for you,” the clerk responded.

“Really?”

“Sure. No problem.  We can be flexible on the return date.  Its all good,” he said casually.

“Really?”

A flexible return date shocked me.  Countless times, we return to a store to make a return only to be reminded, often to be rebuked, that we’ve missed the period of return which was printed in the least readable light ink on the back of the receipt.

In our minds, we know there is probably a 30 or 60 day time period, but when the 31st day hits and we rush to the store - we hope: “Maybe they’ll have mercy on us!  Maybe just this once, they’ll take it back anyways!”  More often than not a store credit is our lot and usually for far less than our purchase was made....

*
Prescribed to us by the month of Elul, these past weeks of Cheshbon Nefesh, of taking account, recalculating, doing some internal math on our souls, forced us to ask hard questions:  Did this year really add up?  How were my joys multiplied?  What was the ratio of joy to grief?  Am I as whole as I’d like to be?

We take account of all the purchases made this year - not the computers, cars, or couches, but major purchases, to be sure - life purchases, life investments really: the time we’ve invested with friends and loved ones, the time we’ve invested in our careers, in leisure activities.  And not only the time, but the heart we’ve invested...

And so we ask: How does it all add up? Is there a return on my investment?

*
After a joyous Rosh Hashanah, the sounds of the shofar articulating all possible emotions, we find ourselves here tonight, on this Shabbat Shuva as we prepare to make our final return.

Is there a time limit lightly printed somewhere on the back of a receipt?

What if our inner work takes longer than the prescribed time?  What if a newer product, a newer version, or self operating system 6.0 becomes available on Monday or even after Yom Kippur?  What if I run out of time? Which is to really say: what if I run out of life?

This ten-day period can provoke such anxiety.

The late Rabbi Alan Lew’s book about the days of awe and these highest of holidays, says it all in the title alone: “This is Real...And You Are Completely unprepared.”

This is real.
But we can be prepared.

Shabbat Shuva and these Days of Awe offer us in the boldest of ink on the longest of receipts a very clear date for return.

Now’s the time.  Return, O Israel, this week’s Haftarah begs of us!  Now is the time, Pesikta Rabati teaches, that our confession will be immediately heard standing itself before the throne of Glory.

Now is the time when returning to our most beloved version of self will reveal, we pray, so many of the investments we’ve made.

*
The store clerk looked up from the cash register...“This return will be complete in one second,” he said casually.  “If you don’t mind we need your signature, so just sign on the line and you’ll be good to go.”

*
Now is the time to do the math, to make your exchange, to make your return and to leave your signature - your chatimah.  And after we’ve done our part, we’re taught that God, too, will leave a signature writing us once more into the Book of Life - such that G’mar Chatimah Tovah - God’s signature will ensure that we will be inscribed for goodness, we will be inscribed for blessing, and that we will be given a receipt, where on the back, in large bold letters, will be printed: Please return as often as possible.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

earth, wind, FIRE, water

Bonjour, Czech Please. Todah.

Not your average homework assignment...