Driving on Shabbat

As critical as I find myself of Israel, I can understand why people fall in love with this place. There are moments when everything here is just so beautiful.

Driving to my community service placement in Kibbutz Gezer, 45 minutes from Jerusalem - the sun was setting over the hills of Jerusalem. In a rental car, I cruised at a speed I wasn't sure of because I don't really understand Kilometers. Golden rays splashed light over the fields, like the orange and yellow rays I used to draw in crayola, stemming out from a sun who smiled and wore sunglasses. I guess his future was so bright...he had to wear shades.

One of the best things about today was calling my friends and saying "Be there in a minute!" And pulling up in the rental car 45 seconds later. What is normally a 20 minute walk from my house to theirs - is a two minute drive on Shabbat. It felt liberating and sacrilegious at the same time. Shabbat pedestrians were constantly crossing in my path, but I went against encouragement from my friends to honk my horn at them. It felt good to anonymously break Shabbat observance, but I didn't feel the need to blare my horn to everyone in my midst.

In other news, big brother Ron G arrives on Friday for 10 days. Watch out world.

I'm ready for some Gubitz gang time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

earth, wind, FIRE, water

Bonjour, Czech Please. Todah.

Not your average homework assignment...