Jerusalem of...

I wonder if platinum existed when they coined the phrase “Jerusalem of Gold?”

Throughout this past week, life in Jerusalem has taken on various hues. My apartment is what we will call “Jerusalem of Mold.” Despite the need for an intense elbow grease cleaning, it’s a wonderful place – with great balconies, fully furnished, and a beautiful cross-breeze.


The past month has been a flurry of goodbyes and hellos – a meaningful conclusion to an intense year as a Hillel International Fellow; a final late-night outing with my closest friends from the RAC; a wild going away party in my apartment in DC; spending the weekend with my family and friends at URJ-GUCI – where I found myself songleading, life guarding, and sitting Shmira, as though I’d never left; a tearful goodbye with my mom at the airport – such that the security let me pass through and then return to hug her some more…


For the week prior to my arrival in Israel, I traveled with a NFTY trip to Prague and Poland. It was wonderful to be back in Prague after living there for a semester in college – I ate my favorite foods and drank a few of my favorite beers. We drove to Krakow and Warsaw, visiting various historical and cultural sites that exhibited the rich Jewish culture that thrived in pre-WWII Poland. It was especially meaningful to travel with NFTY to Auschwitz and to listen and help the NFTY kids process their understanding of the Holocaust and surrounding historical events.


The Jerusalem sun is HOT. We’re building blisters on our feet as we walk everywhere, eating delicious falafel, getting lost in the old city, and running into friends – old and new. I’m lucky to have two close friends visiting already – helping to smooth my transition.

Tonight is Shabbat and I look forward to a needed day of rest….and on Saturday night/Sunday morning, I’m heading to a sunrise concert on Masada featuring David Broza and Shawn Colvin.


Throughout the year, I hope to use this space to share funny stories of life in Israel, pictures, and links to other interesting reads….you can sign up for email updates on the right side of the webpage.

Shabbat Shalom!

Comments

  1. I am so excited you are posting. Your words create such a visual image. Hugs. - SG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen!
    I'm so jealous :) If there was one year of my HUC career I could repeat, it would be the one in Jerusalem!! It's nuts, everyone is disorganised, you experience at least a few life-changingly traumatic events, but it's amazing... it's a bit like falling in love, but with a city :) Hopefully you'll have that experience, anyway! Can't wait to hear all about it and see lots of photos! Where is your apartment btw? Lots of love Zxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. your new shoes should not be giving you any blisters... unless youre wearing cotton socks, because thats always a no-no.

    im looking forward to procrastinating by reading this, dont disappoint me guu.

    xoxo zag

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't be more excited to share in your dream. I will anxiously await every new posting. Always remember you are loved. Be safe and as I often remind you...Make wise choices!
    hugs, cindi w.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

earth, wind, FIRE, water

Bonjour, Czech Please. Todah.

Not your average homework assignment...